Sunday, February 19, 2012

Deck the Walls

Over the years I have thought a lot about home decorating. Not so much coordinating the rugs to the drapes to the throw pillows, but holiday decorations.

Well, I was recently thinking about an Easter wreath I saw featuring bunnies (it was cuter than it sounds) when I realized that there really aren't many religiously-themed Easter decorations. Which actually makes sense. You can have a lot of nativity scenes around at Christmastime and everything's great - they are generally cute or beautiful. But to have tons of images or figures of Christ hanging on the cross or sweating blood in Gethsemane would be a bit morbid. And if you tried to make it cute, it would be even more disturbing. And sacrilegious. And to fill your house with empty tombs would be a bit weird. Like displaying random rocks - not pretty ones or rare ones, just rubble that you might have picked up while prepping the garden.

Still, given that I consider Easter to be the most religiously significant holiday, I don't feel right about completely ignoring the religious side in my decorating. So I have now made it my goal to find at least a couple tasteful decorations that I can get out and display in my home specifically for the Easter season.

3 comments:

Marcy said...

I think spring flowers, daffodils and Easter lilies are the best . . . not whimsical bunnies etc, but a reminder that not only spring comes again, but because of the Savior, we will all live again.

Ashley said...

we have a "resurrection scene" set that we got within the last year (so this will be our first Easter with it). it has depictions of the sepulchre, the risen Savior, an angel, Mary, Mary Magdalene, and a couple of Roman soldiers.

i think we plan to use it like a nativity. ours is from hobby lobby, but i know there are others sold online. we'd be happy to show you on skype sometime.

just wanted to let you know about a nice, respectful decoration that we've found that focuses on why Easter is so meaningful and joyful.

i also agree with mom, flowers are also a nice spring reminder that we will all live again because of our Savior, Jesus Christ. i hope you are able to find something that suits you!! : )

Marissa said...

The flowers are nice, but when I look at them I'm more likely to think, "Oh, pretty flowers" than anything else unless there's something indicating they are meant to be a reminder. But they are a closer association for me than the color green or bulb ornaments for the Christmas tree. The connections of those to Christ always seemed a bit forced to me.

The resurrection scene does sound pretty interesting. I'm guessing they'd have similar price ranges as nativity scenes?

And I'm sure I can get some sort of wall hanging that would work.