Wednesday, July 4, 2012

The Anthem

Whenever I think about it, I am a bit disappointed in the way we usually sing the national anthem. I don't mean the style (although I think it's pretty disrespectful when the performer seems more interested in showing off their talent than in honoring their country). I mean the fact that, except in church and maybe an occasional full choir performance, we only ever sing the first verse.

And the first verse is about a flag. Sure, the symbol of the country, but not the country itself. Just a piece of fabric. It isn't until the next couple of verses that Key starts to bring in the actual significance of that flag.

My personal favorite verse is the last one, which speaks mainly of our country's ideals, then makes a clear link with the banner we are singing of: 

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

2 comments:

Bob said...

Like your thoughts on the Hymn...for some reason our ward missed all the patriotic songs last week. I missed singing them.

By the way, thanks again for keeping our adoption profile up. It means a lot.

Marissa said...

We ended up having our big patriotic program on the 8th, but did get to sing the Star Spangled Banner on fast Sunday, which was nice.

And that profile link is staying up as long as it takes. I want you to have kids and I want me to have as many little cousins as possible.