Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Living in a Book

One of the blurbs on the back of Stephenie Meyer's book The Chemist says in part that "People do not want to just read Meyer's books; they want to climb inside them and live there."

Well, I for one would not enjoy that at all. First she gave us the Twilight books. Vampires, shape-shifters, and werewolves. All of them get their lives pretty disrupted. Okay, maybe life as one of the background characters would be alright, but I don't see how their lives would be any better than my own.

Then we've got the post-apocalyptic world in The Host. I have yet to find any post-apocalyptic world more appealing than my current reality.

And next comes The Chemist. The characters in this book have a kill-or-be-killed existence for the majority of the story, with a touch of living in hiding, constantly looking over their shoulders. Still not something I'd choose.

If I did have to climb inside a book and live there, I think I'd have to go with a straight romance genre. Their misfortunes tend to be along the lines of lost jobs, minor accidents, and miscommunication. I'm not really eager to experience such things, but at least I'm not highly likely to die from them. Plus, I have a pretty good chance of finding true love in the bargain.

No comments: