Speaking of books, last December I read The Declaration by Gemma Malley. It was a decent enough book, but not one I would recommend or consider buying. It did, however, get me thinking a bit.
The concept is that a wonderdrug has been developed that stops aging and death. Most of the world's population takes it. And because the older generation is not dying off, there are not enough resources to support new children. So it is now illegal to reproduce unless you agree as a young adult not to take the drug.
So, after reading this book, I got to thinking- what would you do if you lived forever? One minor character did a lot of traveling. She has now been everywhere countless times. And as I see it, a large part of the fun of traveling is to experience new things. After a very long while, you would run out of things to experience. So, maybe just interacting with your friends. I do enjoy conversations with friends. But how long can you think of new topics? Could you really do that for an eternity without a changing world to bring up new inspiration? I really don't know about that one.
Then I thought, what will we do for eternity after we die? Heavenly Father's work is about his children. But will that work eventually change, or will he need to help us forever, or does he have an infinite number of children to send to earths? The idea of his having an infinite number of children is mind-boggling- but then, so is the idea of eternity. I have been known to attempt to ponder that when I feel the need to confront an idea I can't comprehend in order to create a pleasant brain ache. But the idea that He will later help us help our children as he helps us now is an interesting one that I will ponder further.
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I like these thoughts . ..
Post a Comment