My brother gave me a book for Christmas. This is not unusual- it is an off year when I don't get a few books. The title of this book is Every Book Its Reader, and it was written by Nicholas A. Basbanes.
The focus of this book is to look at the influence books have on individuals and the world. And while reading it, I keep trying to apply what it says to myself. When you read author interviews, one question that often comes up is "What authors influenced you?" And they usually manage to come up with at least a couple, sometimes citing a long list. But looking at my life and thoughts, the only books I can say for sure have influenced me are the scriptures. I can, of course, name authors that I read a lot and like the work of- David Lubar, Orson Scott Card, Shannon Hale, and Cynthia Voigt come to mind. And there are many others. But how much does what they write influence my thinking or my writing?
At one point in the book, Basbanes mentions the books that one writer cites or alludes to in his work. And I definitely allude to books and movies. Just on this blog, I've mentioned The Giver by Lois Lowry, A Separate Peace by John Knowles, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by J. K. Rowling, and the movies Guys and Dolls, In The Good Old Summertime, and Kiss Me, Kate. And I remember using a quote from Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine in my journal once as a teenager, and I use references in conversation to books and movies that I am reminded of, or that make good examples of what I am trying to express. But when I use a book to illustrate a thought I have, does it mean that I got the thought from that book, or is it something that I would have thought anyway? I think most of the time, I just like the way they expressed the thought I would have had. And I am now reminded of a quote from You've Got Mail. And now I realize that I have quoted the very next line to express why I write this blog. Anyway, the first quote- "So much of what I say reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?" I wonder about that sometimes. And I think it doesn't really matter. At least when real life reminds you of a book, you know that somebody succeeded in representing reality in some way. And it means that at least I am experiencing life. Plus, having read about it before, I can have a better idea of how to best respond. Sort of like why they say we study history- to learn from other people's experiences. Right?
All that said, I really do believe that the things you read impact who you become. I just don't know how to measure that influence.
And in case you were curious, the other quote from You've Got Mail is, "I don't really want an answer. I just wanna send this cosmic question out into the void. So, goodnight, dear void."
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment