One morning a few years ago when I had gone in to work a morning shift, before we all dispersed to our various posts, one of my coworkers claimed that if a boy has not had sex by the time he was fifteen, something was wrong with him. The woman he was talking to, who I would guess to be in her thirties, seemed to agree with his assessment. I felt that had to be challenged. So I said what I could think of to say at the moment, which was basically that there was nothing wrong with having moral standards against early sex. It has always felt somewhat inadequate, but was the best response I could formulate at the time.
Of course, it is not at all wrong for a boy to remain a virgin long past the fifteenth birthday. In fact, there is something wrong with a boy who does have sex that early. If there wasn't a problem before, there will be one later in consequence. I really do not want to go find the appropriate research now, but I know that aside from the spiritual issues that will come, especially if he has been taught better, people who have sex earlier tend to have more emotional problems than those who wait.
And there is something very wrong with a society where that opinion is accepted as fact.
Saturday, August 6, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
good for you for saying something! sometimes i find it really hard to speak up around peers/coworkers about things like that because it can be easier to just say nothing. so even looking back if you wish you said something a little different, i think it's awesome that you stood up and said something. way to go : )
Post a Comment