Thursday, July 15, 2010

Not-So-Icky-Gooey Love Stuff

A couple thoughts:

1. One evening in institute last fall, the class got into one of those "what do you look for in the other sex?" discussions. While this was going on, I was finally able to put into words the conclusion that I have drawn from the many similar panels/discussions I have been present for. And that is that if you live so that you like and respect yourself, there will be someone else out there who will appreciate you for who you are.

2. I've heard it many times before: a woman says that her husband is a better person than she is. And then the husband responds by saying she thinks he is better than he actually is, and that he tries to be a better person to live up to what she thinks he already is. Or maybe it's the husband saying that he married way above himself, and the wife saying that he underestimates how wonderful he really is. And in thinking about this, I remembered that when we were discussing A Separate Peace in 10th grade English, the point came up that since we see Finny only through Gene's eyes, but we see all that Gene is thinking, we really see more of Gene's dark side than we do of Finny's. But Finny also has his dark thoughts; we just don't see them. We get the view of his good side, but not those things he represses. And then I thought about how we can't really judge anybody completely objectively, ourselves or others.

No comments: