Last Sunday, a recently returned missionary spoke to us. I don't remember everything he said, but one thing did stick with me. He was talking about how the missionaries devote a certain amount of time to service every week, and told a little about some of the different things he did to serve. Then he talked about all the people who didn't listen to or accept their message. That sounds like a bit of a subject change, but he made a connection: out of all the people who did accept the gospel, they had served every one. But the really significant connection was the next one.
He realized that during Christ's ministry, he went around and served people. That's what he was there for. And as Christ's representatives, that is what the missionaries are there for, too. They are there to make people's lives better, physically and spiritually. And then, going further, all people are here for the same purpose. After all, isn't our mission here on Earth in large part to become like Christ, as much as we are able?
And here are a couple scriptures to ponder over:
John 13:13-17
Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.
If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.
For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.
Verily, verily I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord, neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.
If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.
Doctrine and Covenants 122:8
The Son of Man hath descended below them all. Art thou greater than he?
Sunday, January 20, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment