I just noticed the word solve is in Resolve. Sometime I'll have to think of something profound to say about that.
I didn't want to make a resolutions post too close to the new year, because I'm sure everybody does that and I like to be a little bit different. But I don't want to put it off much longer.
My philosophy of new years resolutions is a bit mixed. Setting goals is good. I like goals. And the new year is a natural time to think about doing that, because of the fresh start and clean slate and all that stuff. An unsullied year to fill up with better things than last year. But our culture has just about accepted a new year resolution as something that will be broken, and probably within the month. Well, I would rather not set any goals if they are just doomed to failure. Unless it's a goal to gain 10 pounds this year. That's something to think about next year...
So, I don't really set new years resolutions. But I do often set goals that coincide with the new year. After all, with so many people thinking about what to do better next year, it is hard to avoid thinking about it myself. But if I never come up with something, I don't worry about it. And, besides renaming the thing, I have one other method of keeping myself from breaking my "resolutions" immediately: I make them more flexible. Instead of setting a goal to go running for a half hour twice a week, I decide where I want to be by the end of the year. That way, I won't miss two weeks in January and be done for the rest of the year. After all, I have 11 more months to work on it.
I did think of a couple things to work on this year during the last couple days of December. My official New Year's Goal is to get in the habit of writing in my journal at least once a week. And during the first week of January, I also decided to work on learning to play my guitar. Hey, I have the instrument. I really ought to be able to have fun with the thing.
Tuesday, January 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment