As I've stated before, I really like Valentine's Day as a day to appreciate everybody you love- friends and family included. And I hate it when anybody calls it Singles Awareness Day.
Now, Singles Awareness Day is not the only complaint I've heard about the holiday. Like most other holidays, sometimes people complain about the commercialization. And I think some guys spend more than they really need to. The point is not the money- the point is to show that you care. And I'll leave it at that for now.
The other objection is that you should be aware of the people you care about always, and that it shouldn't take a special day to show that you care. And that is true. But the same can be said about Christmas and Easter and Thanksgiving and pretty much every other holiday out there. Except Halloween, since it's pretty much meaningless these days to most people I know. And the way I look at it, human nature being what it is, we do tend to forget about these things without occasional reminders. Most of the time, we get some just living our lives. But I don't think it hurts anything to have a special day or season of reminder unless we start to think that we can only acknowledge love on Valentine's Day and our Veterans on Veterans' Day. And I always love an excuse to celebrate. So I say keep the holiday.
Tuesday, September 1, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment