Sunday, December 30, 2007

Destination: Unknown

Once upon a time, Hitler was a baby. His mother probably passed him around to friends and relatives, who would coo at him and tickle him and exclaim over his giggles. Then he got older. He was a toddler and a little boy who got excited about showing off his toys. The same is true about men like Gordon B. Hinckley and Abraham Lincoln.

I've thought about this before, but the concept struck me with a little more force yesterday after I spent some time with my cousin's little boys. You really can't look at a baby and know where he is going to end up. For me, I can't very well imagine either of my cousin's sons to end up as Hitler or Hinckley, but I can see them as ordinary young men- nice guys who try to do good. Then again, I doubt Lincoln's relatives imagined he would end up president of the United States when he was a toddler.

No comments: